Can "modd.io" do player matching / lots of small servers?

I want to make a game that’s a bit different that the traditional “join and leave whenever” IO model. I would like two players to be paired up and play for 30 minutes. But this means there will need to be multiple servers going on at once. Is this something “modd.io” can support?

3 Likes

Yes, you can do that. If you go to your game, then go to Editor > Configuration > Engine and change Maximum Players to 2. Then, you can make a script in the world folder that triggers when then game is finished or when a player leaves midgame, and a single line of code would be kill this game instance.

2 Likes

Thanks, @CatPlayer.

Also I realized that I was actually looking for Lobby feature, which is supported!

2 Likes

Oh no, but that feature is not supported at tier 1. :frowning:

2 Likes

@spoken-exemp Then you could perhaps try my suggestion.
I don’t feel like making an example game, so here are the steps:

1. Set the maximum players (In your game, Editor > Configuration > Engine > Maximum Players) to the maximum number of players for the game.
If your game has a set number of players
  1. Make a script that tracks how many players there are, and if there are enough players in that server, start the game.
If your game doesn't have a set number of players
  1. Make a script that tracks how many players there are, and if there are enough players in that server, start a timer that when finished, starts the game, and when a player leaves and there’s not enough players the timer gets stopped. The purpose of the timer is to allow more players into that server, (i.e. the game doesn’t just immediately start when the bare minimum amount of players join the server.)

2. In the player joins script, add an action that kicks players if the game already started.

1. Make your game

2. Make a script that resets everything

I hope this helps :smiley:

Ah yes, I recently noticed that modd.io was removing random features and putting them into tiers, and that bought plans let you skip having to get lots of players for tiers. You know, it’s how modd.io makes their money.

1 Like

Don’t worry, you can still obtain Tier 5 by reaching 5k total playcounts and 500 unique players.

1 Like

Wait, I though you got Tier 1 by reaching 5k playcount and 500 unique players. Then how do u reach Tier 1?

No, Tier 1 is free but Tier 5 can be still obtained for free.

Also, you don’t get Tier 1 by reaching 5k playcount and 500 unique players, you just have to create a game to get Tier 1.

1 Like